Pell grants, like any other government funded grant programs, require you to fulfill certain pell grant eligibility criteria. Although unlike others Pell Grants are relatively easy to avail and the Department of Education of the United States has set a standard formula for evaluation of each and every application. The grant is awarded based on the information provided with the application via an FAFSA form. The formula created by the Congress mainly comes with a number named the Expected Family Contribution, which typically determines the eligibility of the applicants.
The biggest question is how you could prove your credibility for the Pell grant.
Well, as usual, Pell grants require a lot of paperwork. You will first be required to fill out the FAFSA form either manually or online. Once done, you will be required to produce certain amount of paperwork, which will determine whether you are eligible. The paperwork comprises:
- Your social security number and documents identifying you as a U.S citizen
- Your driver’s license, which should currently be valid
- A copy of your current bank statement and related documents
- You or your family’s entire investment portfolio and related documents
- If you are not an United States citizen by birth, your permanent registration or alien registration card
- If you own a home or a mortgage, relevant documentation
- If you are an owner of any business or farm, relevant documentation
- If you are financially dependent on your parents, your parent’s tax documents
- If you are a tax payer, your tax returns along with the W-2 forms
- If you are married and your spouse is earning, your spouse’s tax documents
Well, if you thought this were hard enough, it gets even better. You will also require to produce a grant application mentioning your incapability to pay for your college education, when you are applying for Pell grants. In essence, a statement proving that you’re broke and that you can’t otherwise afford to go to college. When you enclose all the above-mentioned documents as proof of your eligibility, applying for Pell grants becomes a piece of cake and more importantly, increases manifold your chances of getting a government funded college grants to pay your way through college and a good career ahead.
A Pell grant sounds like a dream come true, doesn’t it! Why wait, get your documents in order before the July, 1, and you can go to college!