You are probably thinking that college is very expensive, it could be, but there are free college grants available for returning student, adult student and new student. These free grants enable these students to enter college and earn the degree that they want. The government, together with other institutions is very much willing to give away Pell Grants or college grant money for free.
Many Americans are now taking advantage of these free grants each year. Those people who normally could not afford to pay a college education can now go to school without worrying about the money they need to pay for tuition fee, books and even for the housing. The government is going to help you regarding these aspects using free college grants.
This program is a need-based and the amount of financial aid is verified using a formula. The formula will consider the income level of your family and the amount of money you are going to need on your education. In order to qualify for college grants, one should be an undergraduate student with GED or high school diploma.
Here are the steps on how to apply for free college grants:
- Collect all the information and the documents that you are going to need to accomplish the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA. This is the application that you are going to use to get college grants. You have to prepare your driver’s license, Social Security Number, W-2, bank statements, mortgages or investment information and last year’s income tax return. If you are listed as your parent’s dependent, you can use their bank statements and financial information.
- Visit the website of the Federal Student Aid to fill out a FAFSA.
- Choose the current school year using the drop-down menu. You will notice that a couple of forthcoming school years will appear. Choose the year when you would want to start getting college grants fund.
- Give the necessary information about you like your name, birth date and Social Security Number. You will also need a password, after answering the questions.
- It would take you around one hour to finish the online form. You have to provide your personal and financial information. Most of the information is also available in the documents that you have collected.
- The next thing that you need to do is to key in the names of universities or colleges that will accept your application.
- Complete your FAFSA application with the help of a PIN number. Once you are done with your application, you need to enter a Federal Student Aid PIN in order to sign and verify your application. Click the button that says “apply for a PIN,” and give the required personal information. The system will generate a PIN number for you to access your application.
- Review all the information you provided in the FAFSA and click the “submit” button if you are sure that all of the information is correct.
You will receive an email within five days regarding the result of your application for college grants.